(subject to modification)
By car :
- from France : on the A9 (E15) motorway, follow “Barcelona”. In Spain, the E15 motorway becomes the AP7. Take exit 4 (Figueres Sud) then the C31, or the exit 5 (L’Escala, Empúries) then the GI623.
- Distances according to Viamichelin :
- Web site of Viamichelin : www.viamichelin.es
By train :
- Since 2012 there is a HST (high-speed train, AVE in Spanish = Alta Velocidad Española, TAV en Catalan = Tren d’Alta Velocitat) connection between Paris and Figueras in 5:28 h (8:27 h from Brussels). To join L’Escala from the Figueres Vilafant TAVstation, it is necessary to take a TEISA bus(TEISA = Transports Elèctrics Interurbans S.A.) from the Figueres Vilafant TAV station to the Figueres Renfe station from where starts a SARFA bus (SARFA = Societat Anònima Ribot, Font i Artigues)to L’Escala. Please inform about the schedule (Teisa : www.teisa-bus.com; Sarfa : www.sarfa.com). A more expensive option is to take a taxi from the Figueres Vilafant TAV station to L’Escala. Estimate : 50 €. Best is to agree to a price and a schedule in advance. To find the contact details of a taxi in L’Escala or Figueres :www.paginasamarillas.es.
- This HST also makes it possible to reach Barcelona (Barcelona Sants station) with only one stop in Girona (Gerona). The Barcelona Sants station is located in the Sants-Montjuïc quarter, between the Plaça dels Països Catalans (where we’ll find one entrance) and the Plaza Joan Peiró (northern entrance of the station). From there starts the HST (AVE) to Paris, Madrid, Málaga and Sevilla.
- Web site of the railroads (RENFE) : www.renfe.com ; timetables : www.renfe.com/viajeros/index.html (RENFE = REd Nacional de los Ferrocarriles Españoles)
By plane :
- The nearest airport is the Girona – Costa Brava one (GRO). Low cost flights exist to this airport from the following cities, among others : Charleroi (CRL), London Luton (LTN), Eindhoven (EIN), Maastricht (MST), Cologne/Bonn (CGT), Frankfurt/Hahn (HHN), Bremen (BRE).
Taxi : estimate 90 €.
- To join L’Escala by bus starting from the airport : take a bus at the airport which brings you to the Girona center station and its connection which goes directly to L’Escala. To check details, visit http://mou-te.gencat.cat. To join L’Escala, the taxi ride costs approximately 80 € ; the journey by motorway is 55 km. There is also a bus service to L’Escala (see the topic Bus Services).
- The most important airport is the Barcelona one (Barcelona El Prat) (BCN). Many airline companies serve it. There are two Sarfa buses (www.sarfa.com) per day to connect this airport with L’Escala without change.
Bus services :
- The bus company which operates in the area is Sarfa (www.sarfa.com). There are buses towards L’Escala from Figueras, Gerona and Barcelona. The bus stop is at the Plaça de les Escoles. You can buy the tickets at the tourist office (Plaça de les Escoles) or on the Sarfa’s web site.
Local transport :
During summer, i.e. from June 15th to September 30th, a small “train” (the Carrilet) operates and enables to move in L’Escala. The ride is as follows : Montgó - Av. Montgó, Passeig Marítim, La Platja, Plaça de les Escoles – Camí Forestal – Sant Martí d’Empúries and vice versa. See the Carrilet layout hereunder (click to enlarge the picture).