Over the years, L’Escala has grown in full respect towards both its history as well as its modern development,as such enteringthe third millennium while keeping its splendid surroundings.
The official website of L’Escalaproudly describes the village coves and its beaches, its celebrations and traditions, its summer concerts, its beautiful landscape and sights, its promenades in a protected environment, the historicalruins of Empúries, the practice of many different sports… all this, obviously, proposing a large number of shops and restaurants.
The sunny sea and the beaches are obviously the main attractions for many tourists, but L’Escala offers also its relics of the past : the central city with its old quarter, the shopping area, Mediterranean gastronomy and the bustling life emerging from all this.Everything in L’Escala is breathing the sea because it has always been a mainly marine village ; in the sea it finds its lifelong source of wealth : the fishing activities and the salted anchovy ; while walking along beaches westrongly feel the links between L’Escala and the sea.
L’Escala has a magic component yet hard to define. Would it be the atmosphere at sunset ? …
Everybody is year-round welcome in L’Escala. L’Escala in summer and winter are totally different worlds. If the priorities of most visitors are sea and beaches during the summer, winter brings us visits of interest and long walks. L’Escala off-season offers its landscapes, its vestiges and the tourist resources of the surroundings, in particular the small rural bastioned hamlets. And of course, L’Escala still offers its old quarter and its irreplaceable character. Indeed, all year round, you’ll never forget the eternal Mediterranean.
What to do on site ?
- The tourist office is on the Plaça de les Escoles. Web site of the Tourist office : www.visitlescala.com. There is also an excellent web site in Dutch, based on the old web site of the city :www.lescalacostabrava.nl.
- Ruins of Empúries (at +/- 3 km) : Museu d’Arqueologia de Catalunya : C/ Puig i Cadafalch – web site : www.mac.cat/esl/Sedes/Empuries – splendid Roman and Greek ruins, a Greek pier… The ruins of Empúries are accessible almost all year round (see on the web site) and by Carrilet (the small tourist train, see the tab “Location and access”) during summer
- the old village of San Martí d’ Empúries (at +/- 4 km), terminus of the Carrilet during summer
- Anchovy and Salt Museum in L’Escala (Museu de l’Anxova i de la Sal) – web sites : http://museudelanxovaidelasal.blogspot.com.es – http://anxova-sal.cat/fr/index.php
- The central city (nucli antic) : you will find pictures of it compared with old pictures on the tab “Before and today”.
- The beautiful bay of Rosas : http://noticies.lescala-empuries.com/gestor/uploads/images/badia.pdf
Have you seen, at…
18 km :the natural park of the Ampurdan swamps (Aiguamolls de l’Empordà) ?
20 km :the old village of Pals ?
23 km :the medieval villages of Ullastret en Peratallada ?
24 km :the ceramics manufacturers of La Bisbal ?
26 km : Figueres (Figueras), its toy museum, its museum of the sewing machines, its castle ?
29 km : Palafrugell and its cork museum ?
32 km : Perelada, its castle, its library and its Cava ?
42 km : Cadaqués, the city of Salvador Dalí ?
43 km : Girona (Gérone, Gerona), its fortifications, its Arab baths, its superb cinema museum ?
46 km :another medieval village : Besalú ?
50 km :the natural park of Cap de Creus ?
54 km :the butterfly house of Llagostera ?
And a little further, at…
65 km : the collection of Salvador Claret car ancestors at Sils ?
67 km : the region of Olot, in the the Garrotxa volcanic area natural park ?
96 km : the town of Ripoll, and its beautiful monastery ?
105 km : the mountain village of Setcases ?
111 km : the old monastery of Núria, accessible by cog railway starting from Ribes de Freser ?
112 km : Vich (Vic) and its lake where emerges a mysterious church tower ?
142 km : Tarrasa and its superb Science museum ?
166 km : the splendid Codorníu cellars at Sant Sadurní d’Anoia, an outstanding visit ?
185 km : Vilanova y la Geltrú and its Railroad museum where we can see the old Talgo ?
205 km : Cardona, its haunted parador-castle and its salt mine ?
and of course, at…
141 km : Barcelona and its treasures : the Sagrada Familia, the Joan Miró Foundation, the Rambla and the Passeig de Gràcia, the Gothic Quarter, the Marine museum, the Plaça Reial, the Güell park, the Poble Espanyol (Pueblo Español, Spanish village), the monastery and the sierra of Montserrat, the houses built by Gaudí, the Ciutadella Park, the Old Port, the zoological gardens…
Here is the Canigou, with Empúries at the foreground, taken from the Platja in December 2011 during a tramontana day. The mountain can remain snow-covered until June !